The Community Health and Fitness Assessment (CHFA) Program is provided at the App State's Cardiopulmonary Laboratory. High-quality health and fitness testing are offered to community members and App State’s students, faculty and Staff.
Understand your body's needs to inform lasting change in 3 steps
1. Assess your baseline 2. Set your goals 3. Retest to check your progress
A laboratory visit takes approximately 120 minutes. It consists of a Complete Health and Fitness Assessment (no single tests offered) that includes a body composition, gait and balance, arterial health, and metabolic testing.
- Tests are available to healthy individuals between 12 and 80 years old.
- Exercise testing to maximal effort are offered only to people that are 50 years of age or younger.
- Anyone between 51 and 65 years of age will be permitted to perform a submaximal test (8 out of 10 effort).
Schedule Your Appointment
To schedule an appointment, view our calendar and select a "Health and Fitness Assessment - Appointment slot" of your choice. We will email you a link with the consent forms and instructions on how to prepare in the next day or two. You will have to complete the online registration at least 3 days before the day of the test.
Please be thoughtful and inform us if you decide to cancel or reschedule your appointment.
Contact us: If you have any questions or concerns, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call Marco Meucci at 828-262-2935.
Cost of the Complete Health and Fitness Assessment
(baseline + retesting)
(baseline + retesting)
Cost of Optional Tests (provided upon request)
|Blood lactate during exercise|
(ear lobe prick)
|Hematocrit, glucose, LDL, HDL, triglycerides|
We also welcome donations of any amount to support the program. Your donations:
- Help us grow. We will purchase equipment we can use to enhance and better our service.
- Help your neighbor. Free access to community members that can’t afford costs.
- Help our students. We hire students to work for the program.
Prior to the test, we will ask you to read an informed consent document explaining the test protocols, risks and benefits associated with testing, and safety precautions for the health and fitness assessment. If you approve the conditions, we will ask you to sign the form.
Then, we will give you a research consent form to allow our laboratory to use your test results anonymously for research purposes, a health history questionnaire to minimize injuries or unexpected events during testing, and a physical activity questionnaire to know more about your lifestyle.
Preparing for the Assessment
- Avoid large meals 4 hours prior to the test;
- Avoid smoking cigarettes, drinking coffee or alcohol 4 hours prior to the test;
- Do not exercise the day of the test (no moderate-intensity physical activity 4 hours prior and/or vigorous-intensity exercise 14 hours prior to the test);
- Wear athletic apparel or comfortable exercise clothing without metal components (e.g. buttons, zippers, etc...);
- DEXA scans can only be done if you have a written prescription from your physician.
Sample Test Results
- Sample Bioelectrical Impedance report [PDF, 649 KB]
- Sample Blood Pressure and Arterial test results [PDF, 613 KB]
- Sample BodPod report [PDF, 179 KB]
- Sample DEXA report [PDF, 1.2k KB]
- Sample Electrocardiogram (ECG) report [PDF, 1.9 MB]
- Sample Gait and Balance report [PDF, 115 KB]
- Sample Lipid Profile and Glucose report [PDF, 1 MB]
- Sample Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) report [PDF, 623 KB]
- Sample VO2max report [PDF, 920 KB]