PLEASE READ CAREFULLY (on a computer, not a phone)
Exercise Science majors (undergraduate, graduate) are either required to or have the option of completing a field experience which is either an internship or a practicum. This field experience can be completed in any semester (fall, spring, summer), ideally after at least some of the core exercise science courses have been taken. The various course numbers and basic requirements are listed below (see the latest course catalogs at bulletin.appstate.edu for more detailed course descriptions and prerequisites, etc.). Undergraduate courses are 3000- and 4000-level, while graduate courses are 5000-level.
Field Experience Course Types
ES 3900/5900 Internship (1-12 credits): minimum of 40 work hours per credit hour enrolled, including any site-required assignments and standard ES program assignments
ES 4050 Practicum: Pre-Professional (3 credits): minimum of 40 total work hours in a healthcare-related setting, including any site-required assignments and standard ES program assignments
ES 4060/5060 Practicum: Strength and Conditioning (3 credits): minimum of 40 total work hours in a fitness or athletic performance setting, including any site-required assignments and standard ES program assignments
STEPS (8) TO ENROLL IN A FIELD EXPERIENCE (INTERNSHIP OR PRACTICUM) COURSE:
1) Attend the informational meeting that is held near the beginning of the fall and spring semesters. Notification of the day/time/location of this meeting is sent to all juniors and seniors via email at the beginning of each semester.
2) Find a site that will host you and complete the appropriate Site Information Sheet (links below)---please select this carefully and with confirmation of how many hours the site can allow you to do---see minimum required hours descriptions above in 'Field Experience Course Types'.
3) You and a representative of the site should both sign (in ink or with official document signing software) the Internship Acknowledgement Signature Page. The Internship/Practicum coordinator (Dr. Triplett) will provide the 'academic department representative' signature last.
4) Submit BOTH forms to the Internship/Practicum Coordinator (Dr. Triplett) in person (office 432C) or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) so the internship or practicum course registration can be initiated.
5) DEADLINES: [we reserve the right to deny your internship or practicum if you do not meet these deadlines]
April 15 for work hours started after spring final exams or anytime during summer session 1
May 15 for work hours started anytime during summer session 2
July 15 for work hours started after August 15 or anytime during the fall semester
November 15 for work hours started after fall final exams or anytime during the spring semester
6) After your paperwork is submitted, you will receive information about the required background check. Information on how to complete the background check will be sent by email directly to your Appalachian email address. You must use the link in the email as the results are sent to the Beaver College of Health Sciences Dean; background checks by other agencies are not allowed unless approved by the Internship/Practicum Coordinator (Dr. Triplett).
7) ONLY AFTER ALL OF THESE STEPS ARE COMPLETED WILL YOU BE REGISTERED FOR THE COURSE BY THE REGISTRAR---YOU CANNOT REGISTER YOURSELF FOR THE COURSE.
8) You are NOT allowed to complete any hours at the site until you are fully registered for the course. However internships/practicums can start before the first day of classes or end after the last day of classes for a given semester. The Internship/Practicum Coordinator (Dr. Triplett) has the broadest course dates that are acceptable so email her for that information.
Other potential requirements
Students may also be asked by the site to get immunizations, complete training, have a drug screening, etc, which involves additional costs. The site will inform the student whether this is a requirement.
Students may also be asked by the site to initiate an ‘affiliation agreement’ between the site and the university. This can take 2-3 months to complete. All requests for this should go directly to the Internship/Practicum Coordinator (Dr. Triplett).
Sites in Boone Area (you are NOT limited to these only---you can find sites on your own)---UPDATED ON 2/1/2023
Strength and Conditioning-specific Sites (you are NOT limited to these only---you can find sites on your own)---UPDATED ON 2/1/2023
Elective List (to replace field experience credits)