PLEASE READ CAREFULLY (on a computer, not a phone)
Exercise Science majors at all levels (undergraduate, graduate) are either required to or have the option of completing a field experience which is either an internship or a practicum. This field experience can be completed in any semester (fall, spring, summer), ideally after at least some of the core exercise science courses have been taken. The various course numbers and basic requirements are listed below (see the latest course catalogs at bulletin.appstate.edu for more detailed course descriptions and prerequisites, etc.).
STEPS TO ENROLL IN A FIELD EXPERIENCE (INTERNSHIP OR PRACTICUM) COURSE:
1) Attend the informational meeting that is held near the beginning of the fall and spring semesters. Notification of the day/time/location of this meeting is sent to all juniors and seniors via email at the beginning of each semester.
2) Find a site that will host you and complete the appropriate Site Information Sheet (see list below)---please select this carefully and with confirmation of how many hours the site can allow you to do.
3) You and a representative of the site should both sign the Internship Acknowledgement Signature Page (click to download). The Internship/Practicum coordinator (Dr. Triplett) will provide the 'academic department representative' signature.
4) Submit BOTH forms to the Internship/Practicum Coordinator (Dr. Triplett) in person (office 432C) or via email (email@example.com) so the internship or practicum course registration can be initiated.
5) DEADLINES: April 15 for summer session 1, May 15 for summer session 2, July 15 for fall semester, November 15 for spring semester [we reserve the right to deny your internship or practicum if you do not meet these deadlines].
6) After your paperwork is submitted, you will receive information about the required background check. Information on how to complete the background check will be sent by email directly to your Appalachian email address. You must use the link in the email as the results are sent to the Beaver College of Health Sciences Dean; background checks by other agencies are not allowed unless approved by the Internship/Practicum Coordinator (Dr. Triplett).
7) ONLY AFTER ALL OF THESE STEPS ARE COMPLETED WILL YOU BE REGISTERED FOR THE COURSE BY THE REGISTRAR---YOU CANNOT REGISTER YOURSELF FOR THE COURSE.
8) You are NOT allowed to complete any hours at the site until you are fully registered for the course. However internships/practicums can start before the first day of classes or end after the last day of classes for a given semester. The Internship/Practicum Coordinator (Dr. Triplett) has the broadest course dates that are acceptable so email her for that information.
Other potential requirements
Students may also be asked by the site to get immunizations, complete training, have a drug screening, etc. The site will inform the student whether this is a requirement.
Students may also be asked by the site to initiate an ‘affiliation agreement’ between the site and the university. This can take 2-3 months to complete. All requests for this should go directly to the Internship/Practicum Coordinator (Dr. Triplett).
Field Experience Course Types (ES majors can choose ANY of the course types)
ES 3900/5900 Internship (1-12 credits): minimum of 40 work hours per credit hour enrolled, including any site-required assignments and standard ES program assignments
ES 4050 Practicum: Pre-Professional (3 credits): minimum of 40 total work hours in a healthcare-related setting, including any site-required assignments and standard ES program assignments
ES 4060/5060 Practicum: Strength and Conditioning (3 credits): minimum of 75 total work hours in a fitness or athletic performance setting, including any site-required assignments and standard ES program assignments
Site Information Sheets (only one of the following needed---choose based on the minimum hours you will be able to complete; click to download)
OTHER IMPORTANT LINKS
Sites in Boone Area (you are NOT limited to these only---you can find sites on your own)---UPDATED ON 2/28/2022
Strength and Conditioning-specific Sites (you are NOT limited to these only---you can find sites on your own)---UPDATED ON 5/29/2022